09-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #183
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep

Drives: superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemonkey1112 View Post
I think its kinda sucks that the 3 series is going to be produced in America. I'm not saying that because I don't "believe" in the American workforce or whatever crap you want to argue, but I would expect that I would be paying for a German engineered car to be produced in Germany. Seriously, People will be paying for a European Import that isn't being produced in Europe? That like saying You bought a Swiss watch that is made in America. Completely ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeil View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. BMW has been manufacturing the X's and Z's in South Carolina for years and they do not seem to have suffered for it.

The big downside for me would be no European delivery.

Indeed, one does not refuse to buy the X5 simply bcs it is made in the USA, does one? And I have not heard anyone say that the X5 (and the Z class as a whole) are poorer for it or less well build.

The factory with the highest quality rating in the BMW universe is in fact the one located in South Africa!! Frankly I was more concerned initially when Porsche announced a factory in Leiptzig, than the announcement by BMW of US production.

Oh and if we really want to freak out the Audi fan club let them know that VW is planning a factory which will build off the same line(s) VW, Audis and..............................Porsche Cayennes (Not that there is really anything wrong with that)