Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasspeed View Post
You should have looked me up since you were here. I had a fellow JB3 member meet me up. I would have been interested to see your ride.
It was my anniveersary so if I would have spent time dealing with car stuff, my wife would have killed me.
But yes, it would have been nice to meet you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablesurge View Post
Dont you think water temp running at 100-103 seems a bit high? That's past boiling point!!! Am also running at around that temp when pushing my car hard in the city. Mind you, weather where i live is about 32 degrees celcius. Am getting worried about it.

Didnt have problems when i was running JB2. Temp seems rather stable in the 90s.
Yes, I think that water at those temps are very high, but that's why there is something else in there called coolant.
It specificaly states on page 47 in the engine management pdf, located in the stickies in the forced induction section.

For the lazy, here is a cut and paste:

The engine control unit of the N54 engine controls the coolant pump according to requirements:
• Low output in connection with low cooling requirements and low outside
temperatures
• High output in connection with high cooling requirements and high outside
temperatures
The coolant pump may also be completely switched off under certain circumstances, e.g. to allow the coolant to heat up rapidly during the warm-up phase. However, this only occurs when no heating is required and the outside temperature is within the permitted range.
The coolant pump also operates differently than conventional pumps when controlling the engine temperature. To date, only the currently applied temperature could be controlled by the thermostat.
The software in the engine control unit now features a calculation model that can take into account the development of the cylinder head temperature based on load. In addition to the characteristic map control of the thermostat, the heat management system makes it possible to use various maps for the purpose of controlling the coolant pump. For instance, the engine control unit can adapt the engine temperature to match
the current operating situation. This means that four different temperature ranges can be implemented:
• 108C ECO mode
• 104C Normal mode
• 95C High mode
• 90C High + map-thermostat mode
The control system aims to set a higher cylinder-head temperature (108C) if the engine control unit determines ECO (economy) mode based on the engine performance. The engine is operated with relatively low fuel consumption in this temperature range as the internal friction is reduced.
An increase in temperature therefore favors slower fuel consumption in the low load range. In HIGH and map-thermostat mode, the driver wishes to utilize the optimum power development of the engine. The cylinder-head temperature is reduced to 90C for this purpose. This results in improved volumetric efficiency, thus increasing the engine torque. The engine control unit can now set a certain temperature mode adapted to the respective operating situation. Consequently, it is possible to influence fuel consumption and power output by means of the cooling system."

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM