View Single Post
      11-18-2008, 10:40 PM   #125
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui86 View Post
just tried this trick and its either not the rear and the front wastegate or i have an exhaust leak, though i doubt it since it sounds more like metal rattles. i tried 2turns on the rod(wrench on top turning towards fender) and sound did not go away. i even had my brother start the car and i closed the wastegate myself with my hand and the rattle still was there. again, i only have the ticking during the first min or so of cold starts.
maybe i have an exhaust leak? figured couldn't be since it goes away after a min or so. its loud enough to have a hard time telling where exactly its coming from. i'll do the golf tee mod to see if the extra back pressure during cold starts is pushing the exhaust gases out of an opening and if it gets quieter i know i have a leak somewhere since by the time the flap is open the noise is gone.

teri
If the noise goes away after a few minutes, that not a typical wastegate noise because from what I have seen it rattles after deceleration of rpms when its revved...You just might have normal ticking noise that almost everyone here has which are the lifters...I have a ticking for alittle bit when the car is cold, but like your after a couple of minutes, its not apparent anymore!
Appreciate 0