05-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #16
AskNiko
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i + 4Runner

Garage List
06 325i  [0.00]
I'm picking up my E90 in Munich around mid-June. I'm still waiting for an exact production date. I've only been told late May.

With ED, the car will be registered with German export plates while in Europe and while in transit. Basically, a German tag with a red striped sticker to indicate that the car is cleared to be exported out of Germany.

ED also comes with one month's worth of insurance. Anything longer than that, you have to arrange for additional insurance coverage.

There are also numerous drop off points in Europe so you are not limited to dropping it off in Munich. I've seen some posts where people dropped-off their cars in Switzerland. Me personally, I will drop off my car in Frankfurt, Germany where it will be trucked to the port of Bremmen, where it will be shipped to California. Be aware though that different drop off points have different costs associated with them.

I was also told that you can pickup the car from the factory and drive it straight to the drop-off point in Munich. But why do that when you are already in Europe and have autobahns waiting for your E90 to be driven on.

The cost is free for ED, actually the cost is already factored into the price. For me, since I'm getting it through U.S. Military Sales, I have to pay an additional $700 for the shipping because I was told that cost wasn't factored in yet since many military members use other means to ship the car back to the U.S.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AskNiko; 05-04-2005 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0