They didn't check for tints at all as far as I could tell. If you look at the Virginia State Police safety inspection site
, they list the inspection procedure. It is not clear that checking tints is part of it (maybe those items I've bolded below?):
12. – INSPECT WINDSHIELD AND OTHER GLASS FOR:
- Approved type safety glass.
- Cloudiness, distortion or other obstruction to vision.
- Cracked, scratched or broken glass.
- Stickers. ALL UNAUTHORIZED STICKERS MUST BE REMOVED.
- Sunshading material attached to the windshield to ensure it does not extend more than 3 inches downward from the top of windshield, unless authorized by Medical Waiver Certificate.
- Operation of left front door glass.
I went to a Sunoco gas station in McLean: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=e...82519981661351
Donny - I don't have and won't get a county decal.
And if you have one now, you can remove the county decal if you are in Fairfax County. As of July 1st, they don't require them any more: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/dta/pdf...MoreDecals.pdf