View Single Post
      06-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #46
Crowley
Major

Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lib View Post
A major reason you see such large profit numbers is due to the fact that we all use a lot of gasoline.

If some small mom & pop store charged $1.00 for something that cost them $0.99 they'd go out of business in a month because they couldn't afford to pay their bills. If someone sold the same product at the same price to every person on earth a thousand times over they'd make well over a half a billion dollars. Now, people are obviously making more than 1% but the margins reported are in line with a lot of buisnesses and a lot lower than the margins you see in some other industries.

And how far will gas need to go down before you're content? $0.10, $0.50, $1, $2, more? I tend to believe people want it to go down at least a $1/g if not more but there is no way you're going to see even a significant fraction of that difference by simply cutting the margins - there are just too many hands taking a few % here and a few % there to make a viable solution out of lowering any single %.

If you truely want less expensive gasoline there are several things that can be done, most of them political.
If, on the other hand, you're simply looking for someone to blame so everyone can feel better without actually solving the problem then go right ahead and blame oil company profit margins.

I call BS ..... I heard the real reason gas prices are so high is because Chuck Norris doesn't care about them any more!

Crowley

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: There is something simply magical about BMWs in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.