View Single Post
      12-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #10
sethchan
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 135i

Because the discussion is about how Detroit drove into a ditch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARES45 View Post
I don't know why you insist on brining up other country's unions, the desire is for the American automakers to produce affordable, quality cars in America. The bottom line is they can take a union job and have someone else in the U.S. do just a good of a job for less money. Yeah the CEO's are overpaid, but they are in most other companies as well. The Top needs to be restructured as well. The UAW is hindering the Big Three to compete with other automakers that are producing vehicles in the U.S. without UAW labor. The top level management and design sucks too, but you can't say the UAW has nothing to do with it. GM is coming along as they are proposing some new vehicles that have better quality and are more appealing, but they have a long way to go to be profitable.
And the example of European and Japanese automakers proves that the Big Three are not in a ditch because of unions except in one sense: The Big Three's management, which is more highly paid than management at any other car company in the world, is so atrocious that workers have to be paid much less than workers at European and Japanese companies in order to make up for it.

My car was built in Leipzig, by IG Metall workers.
sethchan is offline   Sweden