View Single Post
      10-24-2006, 03:33 PM   #1
red-max
First Lieutenant

Drives: 520d M-Sport Auto

Question Spare wheel for E92?

I should be taking delivery of my E92 in the next few weeks (it's being built this week), and I have been reading stories about the difficulties some people have been having getting replacement runflats.

For my current E60 I bought the spare wheel kit ("donut" space-saver spare with jack and wheelbrace), but the E92 has no place to put a space-saver, so I'm wondering what other people are doing - just driving around on runflats with no spare and hoping for the best?

I read one recommendation to carry tyre sealant and a compressor - not sure if that works on runflats - I guess it depends on the damage.

I know you can drive 60 miles on a flat runflat, perhaps more if really necessary, but my mother lives 275 miles away in Cornwall, and if I got a flat on the way back from there I could be in real trouble.

So I am tempted to buy a spare wheel for longer trips, and I'd appreciate some feedback. Here's what I'm thinking; if I buy a spare front wheel (8J x 18) and have it fitted with a non-RFT non-directional tyre, then I could throw it in the boot as a spare wheel when I go on longer journeys. If I get a flat tyre within 60 miles of home, I could drive home and fit this emergency spare wheel while I phone around and wait for a replacement runflat to be ordered and delivered. Seems like a good solution - what do you think?

P.S. I know the front and back wheels are different widths (8J vs 8.5J), but I'm hoping a front wheel will fit on the back in an emergency - obviously I'll be driving carefully with an unequal setup - though presumably it can't be as bad as fitting a "donut" space-saver spare. Then again, is a space-saver an option? I guess it would take up less space in the boot that an 8J alloy wheel and tyre...