View Single Post
      06-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
AP Racing - Chris_B
Brake Maven

Drives: E34 540i/6, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Being an unsprung weight fanatic, I have been searching for reasonable brake rotor options for our E9xs. I have a bro who is a prof in materials engineering at U Washington, and ceramics are his specialty. Anyway, he suggested that SGL carbon AG was working on some useful new tewchnologies, and I ran across this notice that they were joining up with Brembo. Hopefully this will eventually result in more affordable options than Stoptech's 15k system.
There are some new things coming, but price reduction will still take some time. The cost is mainly in the intense material processing (high temps, high pressures, long duration cycle, etc.). There are really only three companies plus one consortium seriously working on disc production technology, and it is a huge mountain to climb.

There will be a CCM (carbon ceramic matrix) upgrade available soon for the Nissan GT-R (other than the $45k Nissan Spec V items). This will actually be on the market, sold and delivered -- not a fantasy marketing piece or "vaporware". The first installation will be done in July of this year. If it all goes well, you may see aftermarket upgrades for other makes/models available in 2010. As for which ones, it will all hinge on how eager and responsive the various markets appear to be. The costs are way too high to offer something for a market segment that wouldn't be ready to buy it.
AP Racing - Chris_B is offline   United_States