View Single Post
      06-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #76
Tortfeasor 335xi
Corporate Hack

Drives: '08 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
My source?How bout 4 cars running flash tunes,2 b5 s4s running off the shelf giac tunes, My brother and cousin have both been running a giac flash for a few years now,got the flash and that was it. No retunes,no forums, NO PROBLEMS WITH THERE TUNES.
GIACís reputation for Audis, VW an Porsche is well known. But whether this flash is going to be amazing or an also ran will greatly depend on whether this quality makes the leap onto the new platform without there being teething issues. I honestly hope it does, but we wonít know until some people act as guinea pigs for the rest of us.
Quote:
Some more sources for you, I have been running the shark injector on my m3 for 8 fucking years without a single problem with the tune,you know whyyyyyy,because jim C didnt go over board and go for the most power and made a safe reliable off the shelf tune,Ohhh and my dinan tune on my DD has been on the car for about 6 years now and still running fine,never once have I had a problem.
So what have you just suggested? That you canít infer present quality from past success? What with the problems people have been having with Dinan products on their 335s and its reputation on other BMW platforms, that seems to be the implied argument here. Also, who mentioned Shark injector? Why is that even relevant? There is no shark injector for the 335. Also, you again imply that other tunes go overboard but have no proof that this is in fact the case. More over, a few individual successes do not determine the failure rate of a product. All we know is in a sample size of 1 there were no failures. Thatís not a large enough test group for us to draw any conclusions from.
Quote:
You do know that turner motorsports has a flash for the 335 right?Its been the same flash for almost a year,they did the r&d and made a tune that they can sell to the masses witch is called an off the shelf tune,its made to work perfect and work on every car with minimal mods.
I am not doubting that you can tune the car with a flash tuner. As a former STI owner whose vehicle was tuned by Cobbís Accessport I am well aware of the virtues of flash tunes, whether OTS or custom. But this does not imply that all flash tunes are good. A tune is only as good as the tuner and his or her familiarity with tuning that particular vehicle. In this case GIAC is new to BMWs and the 335, which as we discussed above have proven difficult to tune properly even for experienced BMW tuners.
Quote:
There is no demand for new maps bro,they drove the car hard,made a tune and drove it hard,if there was more power to be made they would give it to you.they wont play the tune games like the jb3 and procede,see even AA left these forums,they made a tune,tweaked it,then left it solid and said that its,heres our tune,thats what you get.
So because AA picked up its toys and went home we should infer that there is no improvement to be had? That does not follow. Just because certain tuners stopped fighting because they either didnít feel like continuing the battle or were losing does not mean others canít succeed. Hell, if there are no improvements to be made there would be no point for GIAC to jump in, no need for there to be updates to the Procede or JB products. Its always possible to improve a tune.
Quote:
Im not hating on giac,I was responding to the guy that said the ecu tuning was limited to 14psi,its not,that is where the safe limits start to get into trouble.
I understand, and I agree, hating a product before we have even seen it is silly. Until it has been seen and tested its an unknown that canít be judged.
Quote:
Heres a little real world story for you because I have been there and done that,my friend made 508whp with his 35r evo,on pump....It was basically a max dyno run,kid drove it around even tho he knew it was knocking a little and bam,the other night fucked the thing up big time.
I was until recently very active in the Subaru community, before that the mustang community. The danger in tuning a car beyond factory output is always parts failure. Itís the basis for the old racerís adage, if you arenít breaking parts, you arenít making enough HP. The problem is that there are a ton of reasons parts fail. Limiting all tunes to a certain PSI or HP rating is to over simplify things. For a tune to be properly safe for daily driving it needs to take into account a plethora of factors, not the least of which is the load on the turbos. So without knowing all the other factors, I canít conclude that your friendís Evo failed because he made too much power or pushed too much PSI. More than likely it was because he did not properly tune it. After all, you did say it was knocking, usually a good sign of poor tuning.
Quote:
the stock turbos are good for 15psi if you want them to last,I dont care what tune you run,do what ever you want its your car.
Currently my car is not running any tune. But the convergence at 14 PSI or 15 PSI in tunes doesnít mean you canít run the turbos that high consistently, just that others have not been able to, or that it is not easy to do it right. Remember that compressor maps compare airflow to pressure ratio, simply citing a PSI rating is only part of the story.
Quote:
You sound like a perfect person for the shark edit,start flashing people cars to run 19-20psi on race and meth and see how many turbos start to whine after a few months.
Again, why is Shark edit relevant here, it does not exist, and likely will never exist. Also, I am not a tuner, and even if I had the programming skills, I likely would not be tuning random peopleís cars. As I said above, a tune depends on many factors, its not just about plugging in a boost controller and cranking the knob.
Really Much Earlier Car: 1988 Mazda 626 TURBO
Tortfeasor 335xi is offline   United_States