I was in the same situation before early this year deciding between a 335i and 330d. I picked 330d because of the following reason.
- Price due to lower LCT
- Newer Engine coz 3rd Gen Common rail has only been release last year and N54 has been around for a few years already
- Efficiency of diesel engine. 6.8l/100ks vs 9.6l/100ks plus diesel is slightly cheaper now compare to 98 unleaded so it will not coz u a fortune when u put pedal to metal.
- Better for environment. The emission meet with new EU6 standard coming in after 2014 with Blue performance however not an option is Oz.https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/press...tem=node__2223
- The popularity of diesel engine in Europe which is the most likely trend in oz in years to come
- Fun to drive with so much torque making acceleration effortless (maybe not as exciting as u know). Excellent with my wife in the car. She does not feel the car pushing as hard therefore making feel like we r not going fast so she wont complain as much .
- The fact that I can be sure the chipping or any performance increase will not stress the tranny coz the diesel gear box (6 hp-28) can handle 700nm of torque according to ZF spec where tranny in 335 (6 hp-21)will only handle 450nm. That is why the new performance upgrade kit available recently from BMW dealers only push the torque up to 450nm exactly. http://apps01.zf.com/zf.productDataB...n_EN_2006s.pdf
Diesel engine is also more durable therefore making it less likely to stress the engine too much. I have my x5 chipped for several years now and I have not problems with it what so ever. Plus if u go with the DPChip option, if ur engine does play up, u r cover by their warranty which is the only company in oz that offer this guarantee. http://www.dpchip.com.au/index.html
Don't want to sound too bias but I hope this helps