07-10-2009, 09:14 AM   #41
335stepitup
Enlisted Member

Drives: 335 e90

Garage List
2007 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffL View Post
So the car and sensors can actually tell when the oil starts break down and needs to be changed? That's what sets the oil change interval? If that's the case then why after an oil chage the oil change indicator does not change? I just had mine done the other day, car still states it needs an oil change in 5k miles.
The parameters need to be reset to indicate that a service has been done and the entire cycle can start to count down again. While the oil sensor is one of the main inputs there a few more such as average fuel consumption, time, number of cold starts, ambient temp and engine load adaptation. It's the same when you get the main battery replaced the SOH(state of health is not automatically factored and still requires a technician to log a battery replacement.) I'm not looking for excuses for BMW here I just happen to know the behind the scenes situ in a workshop quite well, having been a certified BMW master technician myself.
E90 335 mtechnic steptronic, ca, activ steering, prof nav, logic 7,bluetooth,errb, titan silb/dakota black, brushed alu,Clear tail clusters, carbon grillz, splitters and rear diffuser, BMW Performance power upgrade, 20's, Chiplogic s/ware