08-08-2009, 08:11 AM   #256
richd
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E90 335d M Sport + X1 2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by illingworth22 View Post
I Can't quite get my head round this.... I will try to explain (as I said earlier my Amp is the Blaupunkt I assume it works/connects in a similar way as the Alpine option). OK My Head Unit sends Front, left & Right and Rear Left & Right to the amp (4 channels). The Amp then sends out amplified Front, Left & Right and Rear, Left & Right. So If I am to connect the Subs to the Rear Channel I will have to do some cutting & splicing..right?
(snip)

The Alpine is connected to the front head unit feed only. The rear speakers stay driven from the rear output of the head unit.

As the amp doesn't need a high level to drive it, you can split the front channel from the head unit to feed the front and back inputs of the amp. This allows you to drive the subs from the rear channels and the door pairs from the front channels.

If you want to amp the rears then a separate amp is needed, or a 5 channel amp (with the 5th channel driving the subs).