09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #25
fernande-bmw
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i E90 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblue2002 View Post
I'm picking up a 335i xDrive in Munich next month. I recently turned in a 335i at lease end and would have gotten another 335i if a LSD was a realistic option. I've had many Audis in the past and the benefits of all-wheel drive really are year-round. The 335i has too much torque for an open diff no matter how much rubber you have (especially if you chip it). If the road is wet or there's loose dirt on the road you're not going anywhere fast. This was really annoying trying to start out from some intersections and merge with oncoming traffic. I'd much rather have the confidence of all-wheel drive grip and knowing that the car will jump when I want to accelerate. For me, the choice was getting the 335i and putting on an aftermarket LSD or get the xDrive and lower it (easier on the wallet and warranty). Test drive both in the rain then make your decision.
I live in Milwaukee, WI. We get our fair share of snow during the winter months (usually Jan-Apr, although some times it starts in Nov), and some heavy rains (Sep-Dec and Apr-Jun). We do have beautiful warm/sunny days. However, in proportion, they feel short.

I have survived for the last nine years with a 2000 323i 4D sedan with factory installed 16" wheels and all-season tires, and a 2004 330i 4D sedan with factory installed 17" wheel and all-season tires (sport suspension was standard in this model).

I am considering getting a 2010 335i 4D sedan with sport package. I was considering replacing the factory installed performance tires with all-season tires. However, after many comments, I was thinking about getting a new set of 17" wheels with winter tires.

The 2004 330i 4D sedan has 225 HP. The 2010 335i 4D sedan has 300 HP. Is this significant enough to become an issue in rainy/snowy/icy conditions regardless of tires installed?

Should I instead consider the 335 xDrive with sport package for Milwaukee, WI driving conditions (and either get all-season or an extra set of winter tires)?

How much performance/handling do you lose during the Summer months in normal driving conditions (no race track, just spirited driving) compared to a 335i with sport package?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0