View Single Post
      10-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Wesley Crusher
Colonel

Drives: E92

Arrow Have an iPhone? Want to make your own FREE ringtones?

Hi guys,

I decided to make a little tutorial to show iPhone owners how to make their own ringtones using existing .mp3's that they have. It can be done in under 2 minutes and requires nothing to be downloaded. It can all be done within iTunes! I am doing this on my Macbook, but it can also be done on the PC and the process is 99% the same.

Some of you may already know how to do this, but I feel that many people do not and I wanted to spread the knowledge around.

Step 1 - Open up iTunes and select a song that you want to turn into a ringtone. For the purpose of this tutorial, I chose a great chillout/jazz/trip hop song by a Japanese DJ.

Step 2 - Once you have your song selected, right click on it, hit the "Get Info" button and a pop-up will show up on iTunes. Click on the "Options" tab and you need to edit the song length (don't worry, this can be reversed).

30 seconds is the longest you would want to make your ringtone. Anything less than 30 seconds is also fine. For the purpose of this tutorial, I cut the song from the very beginning to 30 seconds in, but you can do it however you want. Just listen to the song and find the 30 seconds that you enjoy the most. Once you have selected the 30 seconds of the song that you want to turn into a ringtone, hit the "OK" button

Step 3 - Now that you have edited the start and stop time of the song, right click on the song and hit the "Create AAC Version" button.

Step 3.5 - You will now see that the same song appears twice. One will be displayed at the full length and the second will be displayed at 30 seconds long. The 30 second version is the AAC version.

(At this point you can right click on the original song, hit the "Get Info" button, click on the "Options" tab and where you edited your song length, delete the start and stop time and iTunes will automatically return the song to it's original length.)

Step 4 - Now that you have your AAC version of the song, drag it onto your desktop.

Step 5 - Right click on the song and hit the "Get Info" button.

Step 6 - A pop-up will appear and under the "Name & Extension" tab, you will see your song, whatever it may be, and it will end a .m4a file extension. You need to click on the song, and change the file extension from .m4a to .m4r and then hit the enter/return button.

You will now see on your desktop that the song ends in .m4r

Step 7 - At this point, you can go back into iTunes and delete the AAC version of the song.

Step 8 - On your desktop, double click on your .m4r (by the way, r stands for ringtone lol) file and it will start playing in iTunes under the ringtone section!

Step 9 - Sync your iPhone (make sure that you select to sync your ringtones as well) and enjoy your new ringtone!
Wesley Crusher is offline   United_States