View Single Post
      11-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
jaiman
Captain
Rep

Drives: very fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
No I was not trying to call you a terrorist or infer that you were Muslim. Not every post that disagrees with you is a personal attack. Relax. I was saying that's a paraniod train of thought to say "if we allow torture, then eventually we're dealing with mass executions". Not in today's society.
Sorry, I meant to have a winky smiley there. It was more a joke on the Lefts typical reaction when the Right goes after them about being soft on terrorists. Though the smiley probably wouldn't have given it the punch it needs. Funnier when I say it, I guess.

Back on point, the idea is that you need to have a line that won't be crossed. Otherwise everything is fair game. And it gets very tough to set that line once you've gone too far. Summary execution is not that far from torture. Carpet bombing civilians is just a little step beyond that. Could it happen? Yes. Is it likely? i don't think so. But 10 years ago I would have never thought that there would be picture of American service men and women degrading prisoners in todays society.