View Single Post
      01-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #153
timber71

Drives: 2006 325i Monaco Blue

Clicking is Gone

Guys,

I'm happy to report that I have my car back, and the clicking is gone. Here is the information on the service report...I hope it helps everyone out:

Job #1
Complaint: CUST NOTES CLICKING NOISE ON A COLD START. SEE JIM R FOR VIDEOS AND E-MAIL
Cause: NOISE FROM ENGINE, POSSIBLE LIFTERS
Correction: START VEHICLE NUMEROUS TIMES. ALL OK. ROAD TEST VEHICLE. NOISE WAS HEARD. PERFORM BRIEF TEST. NO FAULTS REGISTERED. PERFORM SMOOTH RUNNING TEST. ALL OK. CUT OUT INJECTORS ONE BY ONE. NOISE CHANGES WHEN INJECTOR ON CYLINDER THREE WAS SHUT DOWN. SUBMIT PUMA CASE. RESPONSE IS TO REMOVE VALVE COVER AND CHECK LIFTERS

Job #2 and #3 unrelated

Job #4
Complaint: VERIFY FOR NOISY LIFTERS
Cause: EX CAMSHAFT IS SCORED AND LIFTERS FOR CYL'S 1 AND 2 WERE COMPRESSIBLE ON THE EX CAM SIDE. BEARING HOUSING FOR CAM ALSO BADLY SCORED
Correction: R&R CYL HEAD COVER. CHK EXH CAM & BEARING HOUSING. 4 LIFTERS NOT HOLDING UP ON CYL 1&2. EXH CAM SCORED, HOUSING ALSO. REPLACE EX CAM AND HOUSING ALL EX CAM LIFTERS. REASSEMBLE ENGINE AND TEST DRIVE. ALL OK, LIFTER NOISE IS GONE.

Parts:
QTY 1 11-42-7-566-327 OIL FILTER ELEMENT
QTY 1 11-12-7-536-785 PROFILE-GASKET
QTY 1 11-12-0-409-288 SET OF ALUMINUM SCREWS
QTY 12 11-33-7-548-690 PUSH ROD
QTY 1 11-31-7-563-665 OUTLET CAMSHAFT
QTY 1 11-12-7-531-224 BEAR. LEDGE
QTY 15 11-12-7-535-024 BOLT

Alright, now for the meeting with the service manager. They did flush out the engine, but I will be hitting the oil with a Blackstone test in a few thousand clicks to see how things are. Given that there are so many of us with this problem, I wanted to make sure that this has made it into the BMW-NA database, and he assures me that it has. (I guess that's what Puma means)

His theory is that things happened in this order: cam and housing not in tolerance from factory causing oil starvation to cam and bearing, and the subsequent scoring...then the noise came as a result of that

He has also all but guaranteed that the problem will not come back. I'll let you know in about 13000 kms...