View Single Post
      12-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
Speediance
Speediance
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Great to see interest in suspension, and a treatment of the whole system/package.
A comparison with some of the systems that HP Autowerks has would be interesting.
I think I would prefer Swift springs to the Eibachs. You may further enhance handling by weight reduction, including brake parts.

At some point it would be cool to run a proper side-by side comparison test, with independent drivers doing slalom, skidpad, etc. With photo/video documentation, so you can compare body roll, transitions, etc. Handling is much more complex to assess than acceleration in the 1/4 mile, but perhaps more interesting.
I dont imagine that springs alone would make a drastic difference to your suspension. The ground-control shocks are designed to work with the Eibach springs, which are custom-designed by Eibach according to GC-specs.

Going back to the spring-shock harmony topic, it would do no good to a suspension if you simply change the spring and the shock doesnt work with it. I would take a carefully tuned kit, well-designed for years by professionals who are world-renowned in the racing community, over some adhoc combo that a random person on a forums suggests.

Also, one more thing to say about comparisons. I'm sure as you know this is easier said than done. There are just too many variables in suspension tuning. Even 2 same exact setups can have different results based on the aggresiveness of alignment and driver skills. Also bodyroll is not an objective criteria when talking about different setups which have especially different spring rates. The only way is for the same driver to take different cars around a given track, 10-15 runs and get the best laptime. But you are right, it'd be awesome get some objective numbers.

Quick note: Compared to a TC Kline 400/500 F/R with Vorshlag camber plates, which I had a chance to ride in, my setup is superior. Its hard to say why I say "superior", but rest assured, if you got a chance to ride the two setups you would say the same. Its a very subjective thing, and it would all depend on how sensitive you are to everything that goes on during cornering and weight transfers.
Appreciate 0