12-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #647
acthad
Enlisted Member

Drives: 07 X5 Sport

Just bought a Sprint LG Rumor2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Folks,

It is really simple to understand how this works. I'll try to explain it quickly here.

Every bluetooth enabled device acts both as a receiver and a sender of wireless (2.4Ghz) signals. That is needed to establish simultaneous 2-way communication between 2 bluetooth enabled devices. In the world of bluetooth technology there are several standards of communication which follow predefined sets of rules and are designed for different purposes. These standards are known as Bluetooth profiles.

You can read more about the different Bluetooth profiles and their purposes here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile

Now, there is a specific sets of profiles that the BMW bluetooth module supports. One is HFP which allows the bluetooth module to "stream" voice over the wireless. This allows you to use your BMW audio system as the phone receiver a.k.a. handsfree.

There is also another profile called PBAP (Phone Book Address Profile) which allows your bluetooth module in your BMW to obtain the phone book that is stored on your phone. As a result, you can see who is calling you on your car display and you can also scroll through your phone book and make calls right out of your car audio system.

So, to find out if your phone will work with your BMW bluetooth module you need to make sure:

1. Your phone supports both HFP and PBAP profiles
2. Your BMW bluetooth module supports A2DP and PBAP profiles.

Example:

My G1 (HTC Dream) supports both HSP and PBAP profiles. I was able to sych my phonebook with my 335i right away. I was doing this way before the G1 made it to the approved list of supported phones on the BMWUSA.com

I recently bought Nokia N900. It currently does NOT support PBAP. As a result, I can only use my bluetooth module in my car as a hands free. I can't see who is calling. I can't scroll my phonebook. I can only answer and decline calls.
How do I tell what my BMW BT modules supports? My phone supposedly has HFP and PBAP.

The BT Hands Free works fine, but the phone book just says 'Please Wait'

I am hoping the upload of the addresses is just super slow and they will eventually appear?