View Single Post
      12-31-2009, 11:59 AM   #18
number335
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 Coupe

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech fired coach Mike Leach on Wednesday, two days after he was suspended by the school as it investigated his treatment of a player with a concussion.

"I'm very sad to say there's only one person to blame for this and it's Mike Leach," Texas Tech chancellor Kent Hance told The Associated Press.

Jerry Turner, vice chairman of the university system's board of regents, said "other things" came to light during an investigation of Leach's treatment of receiver Adam James. Turner declined to elaborate about the other issues.

Later, in a telephone interview with ESPN's Rece Davis, Hance said: "I like him and I wanted him to be my coach, but insubordination and this type of activity just cannot be permitted."

"In a defiant act of insubordination, Coach Leach continually refused to cooperate in a meaningful way to help resolve the complaint. He also refused to obey a suspension order and instead sued Texas Tech University," the statement said.

The school handed a termination letter to Leach's attorney, Ted Liggett, minutes before the two sides were to appear in a Lubbock courtroom for a hearing on the coach's suspension.

It appears that what ultimately got Leach fired was his reluctance to cooperate during the investigation and his insubordination with the school president. If he believes he is innocent of any wrongdoings, why not just cooperate instead of making things worse?