Speed Demon
United_States
Rep

Drives: '10 335d E90

Garage List
2010 335d  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
The thing to keep in mind when comparing the torque of the diesel to the gas engine, is that it is not apples to apples and that is because of the vast power-band of the gas engine allows more aggressive gearing. For example, the M3 has only 295 torque, but puts more torque to the rear wheel in 3rd gear than the 335d, and that's because of very aggressive gearing. So yes, the 335d has great torque, especially around town, but you have to compare cars apples to apples (factor in gearing) to see the real torque difference. And yes, I have driven the 335d.

Show me the map for the M3 torque. I disagree with your torque assessments, as the math doesn't support your conclusion. I'm open to rebuttal, however. I've asked demo to provide the chart for the M3, so we'll see if you are correct. If you are, I'll happily step down on that assessment.

However, the 'vast powerband' of the gas engine doesn't compare to the 'vast powerband' of the diesel. Just because it has a lower RPM doesn't make the powerband any less, and stock for stock, you're right, you can't compare the d to the i. There is a distinct difference in feel, favoring the d.