View Single Post
      02-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #63
Socom
Major General

Drives: 2010 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
You can't blame BMW! The words "lifetime fluid" is written on each ZF transmission. They've lifted up a 335I at my dealership, and it was written right there.

Read between the lines:
"Some fluids previously recommended were factory fill or available only in the European market. To
simplify, obtaining the correct recommended fluids ZF now offers Lifguardfluid5, Lifeguardfluid6 and
Lifeguardfluid6+. Please see the attached oil recommendation list TE-ML11 for detailed information.
" In other words, you can use the ZF fluids, or you could see the TE ML11 list for all "APPROVED" fluids.

The world has been using cars since the early part of last century. I don't need a corporate sales person to tell me how to maintain my vehicle. 60,000 miles, or 8 years, is for people who want to change the entire transmission between 100-150K miles. If you leased your vehicle, which most people do, then don't even bother to change any fluid other than the oil. If you bought your car for the long term, then your a fool to not to change you transmission fluid every 2 years, or 30K miles, like most manufacturers recommend. These threads have gotten so fricken tired and pointless!
Why are you getting your panties in a wad? Just use a fluid off the list. This all about warranty. You can use motor oil every 20k miles, but don't scream like a little girl when your warranty is denied. It's not rocket science.

http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_In...011_en0700.pdf

Your suggestion that "most manufacturers recommend 2 yrs 30k miles A/T changes" is simply false for those who use the ZF transmission. Officially ZF says 80-120k KM which is 48k-72k miles.

The TE ML11 list is NOT applicable to the any A/T which goes in the E90. Reading is fundamental.

Last edited by Socom; 02-11-2010 at 02:45 PM.