02-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #1056
Dackz
Hates Speed Limits
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
It sounds like you've already done some research on the topic. At this point, I think the M205 and PC 7424XP combo would be a great fit for your needs. The nice thing about the Meguiar's polishes is you control the cut by how much pressure your exerting. If you take things slow, read up on a few guides, perhaps watch some videos and test on a small area before going to town on your car, there's almost nothing to work with.

If you go the Meg's route, be sure to read this Meguiar's M105 / M205 how-to and our polishing guide.

If you tape off your trim, go slow, there's really nothing to worry about. You can polish your clear bra, but what I'd recommend is taping off the clear bra as you do your paint, then taping the opposite as your polish your clear bra.

As you mentioned as a long term investment, doing it yourself is going to pay off big time in the long run. Figure a 32oz bottle of polish is going to last you years and the buffer will as well.

If there's anything else I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask.

What would a good car wash, clay, QD be to use? Would I want to glaze, or since my car is in good shape already, skip that? The sealant I want to use is the Blackfire Wet Diamond. That stuff looks great on the gray M3 (I have a Space Grey 335), so I know what I want to use there, plus I like that it will last a while...I plan on sealing it at least 3 times a year (Spring, Summer, Fall-hope it to last through winter...to dang cold to detail without a heated shop), and probably polishing just once each spring and maybe fall.

I think this is something I could really do, and I appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 0