03-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #97
jonerik26
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: black 335i e90 PRE-LCI

Garage List
2007 335i  [4.00]
1998 Acura Integra  [4.25]
2006 325i  [4.00]
I just finished changing out my pads, somewhat more diffcult compared to most cars, I think just because of the clips and the way the pads sit inside the calipers. Anyways just wanted to share my experience and a few tips that may help others.

Overall everything went pretty smoothly just like any other brake pad change, but there were a few things that got me but were quick to remedy.

First, problem I ran into for myself was that I couldn't get the caliper off the front rotor because the old brake pads had made a groove into the rotor (which obviously need resurfacing now) basically giving it a nice outside lip on the rotor which pretty much kept the caliper from being remove because it lock up with the pads. So, I needed more space between the pad and rotor, which I accomplished by placing my C-clamp onto the piston within the groove where the brake sensor comes out and basically push the piston back just enough to give some space for the brake pads to get past the lip on the rotor.

Second, the front clip. First off careful pulling them off, they fly. Anyways I've noticed that some members have gotten a bit confused when inserting the front clip. I actually found it pretty easy to reinstall, which I did by inserting both of the ends of the clip into its original place, then with a flat head slid over the clip away from the center of the rotor until the tab in the middle of the clip was able to sit itself into the groove on the caliper. The rear clip you simply have to slide downward, don't have any pictures but will get some up that may help if needed.

Well that's pretty much any speedbump that I encounter. Also I needed an air gun to take out the 18mm and 16mm bolts, mine were pretty stuck there, used some liquid wrench as well.

I have included pictures of what was explained using Mr. 5 pictures

hope this helps.
Attached Images