View Single Post
      04-08-2010, 07:50 AM   #10
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
I was expecting this...especially the lag. There is no way a single turbine working at 10-11psi produces less lag than twins working at 7-8psi, regardless of valvetronic. Until you have boost, you can't have valvetronic supply the power.
As a magazine noted while driving the 5-series GT with N55, the engine doesn't have quite the low-end of the N54. I think that there was the lag they perceived at lower RPMs.

But, maybe the N55 was not fully broken in...or maybe the N55 car had lower quality gas (but I don't think the dealer would be so stupid if he wanted to sell N55).

The only reason I see BMW sticking with the same power/torque in the N55 was to not increase the lag...because let's face it, even claiming 310hp instead of the old 300hp would have been enough for many to not regret the N54. But they didn't...why ? Every other company ups the power when introducing a new engine.
Hopefully the HPFP gets solved over the next 6 1/2 years--that's how much warranty on it the original 2k7 owners have. If so, maybe we don't have to jump on the bigger number (55>54) or newer is always better bandwagon.

The N54 was great when we all took delivery. It's only after well for me 3 years that things went down the drain. If the problem can be fixed, we can relive the glory days. Also I found it interesting that the "335is" uses the N54, so there has to be something redeeming about it.

Let's face it, regardless of how little resale a 335i has, the price of any new BMW is outrageous as they keep increasing list prices and removing standard equipment.
Appreciate 0