View Single Post
      06-04-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
kaigoss69
Colonel

Drives: '08 335i

JBL MS-8 Processor Integration Thread

For those of you who have not hear about this unit, take a look here: http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_1...ssi=0&tp=27863. I've got a unit in the mail and am currently planning my system around it. Not sure yet how I'm gonna do it but I'll probably start like this:

- Channels 1 & 2: Focal 100 KP in front doors with Focal x-over
- Channel 3: OEM center mid with L7 tweeter added
- Channels 4 & 5: OEM woofers under seats
- Channels 6 & 7: OEM Rear Deck speakers (which I think already have tweeters)

All this off of the internal amp. It is only 18W per channel but should be enough to create enough volume for this purpose. I want to run it like that in order for me to determine whether or not I like the Logic 7 surround sound "magic" this unit is supposed to create (I have never been a big fan of rear fill or surround sound so we'll see). Then I will probably disconnect the rears and only run the front stage for a while. I believe I will like this better but you never know...

After that I will decide on how many channels I will run and how many more amps (if any) I need to buy. I will also consider running the front stage active. There are just so many scenarios you can end up with it is scary to think how much money I will burn in the process of finding the perfect set-up.

Anyway, this thread should be used for forum members who have already used this unit (or heard it in somebody else's car) to share their experiences so that we all can learn from it and hopefully help us make easier (and less costly) decisions in the end.

I will post my findings shortly and I encourage anyone else to do the same. I will update the OP from time to time with system configurations posted in this thread.

<<<<<< updated info >>>>>>>>

System Configuration #1a by kaigoss69:
- Channels 1 & 2: OEM L7 door speakers (4"midrange and 1" tweeter)
- Channels 3 & 4: OEM woofers under seats
- Channel 5: OEM L7 center 4" midrange with 1" L7 tweeter added
- Channels 6 & 7: OEM Rear Deck speakers
- Amplification: MS-8 internal amp for all 7 channels
- Comments: Tonality & imaging the best I ever heard in my car. Underseat woofers do not have enough volume to keep up with rest of system.

System Configuration #1b by kaigoss69:
- Channels 1 & 2: OEM L7 door speakers (4"midrange and 1" tweeter)
- Channels 3 & 4: OEM woofers under seats
- Channels 6 & 7: OEM Rear Deck speakers & Rear side speakers in parallel
- Amplification: MS-8 internal amp for channels 1, 2, 5 - 7. Ch 3 & 4 externally amp'ed with 150W/Ch.
- Comments: Tonality & imaging same as above. A sense of more "spaciousness" during certain recordings. Underseat woofers keep up with rest of system, but need to be high-passed at about 50Hz. Overall volume level of MS-8 amp'ed channels seems to have increased after adding amp to underseat woofers.

System Configuration #1c by kaigoss69:
- Channels 1 & 2: OEM L7 door speakers (4" midrange and 1" tweeter)
- Channels 3 & 4: Morel CW-8 woofers under seats
- Amplification: MS-8 internal amp for channels 1, 2, 5 - 7. Ch 3 & 4 externally amp'ed with 150W/Ch.
- Comments: Definitely a step up from the OEM woofers. Midbass is more defined and a little tighter. High-pass is set at 40Hz for now and they get plenty loud all the way down. I will have to wait until they fully break in and I will try lowering the high pass to 30Hz.

System Configuration #1d by kaigoss69:
- Channels 1 & 2: Hybrid Audio Legatia L3SE in stock 4" locations
- Channels 3 & 4: Morel CW-8 woofers under seats
- Channel 5: Hybrid Audio Legatia L3SE
- Amplification: MS-8 internal amp for channels 6 & 7. Ch 1, 2 & 5 externally amp'ed with 120W/Ch. Ch 3 & 4 externally amp'ed with 150W/Ch. Trunk subwoofer externally amped with 300W x 1.
- Comments: The absolute best the car has ever sounded. CH1, 2 & 3 crossed over 160Hz, 18dB/oct. For best midbass performance from underseats, calibration was run without trunk sub. Trunk sub was then added back in post calibration and crossed over at the 4-ch amp, 50Hz 24db/oct hi-pass and 55Hz 12dB/oct low-pass. SCHWEEEEET!

System Configuration #2 by mathematics:
- Ch 1 & 2: Dynaudio MD102s (sails)
- Ch 3 & 4: Dynaudio MW152's (stock door location)
- Ch 5 & 6: Dynaudio MW172's (kick panels)
- Ch 7: Dynaudio Esotar 1200 (ski pass IB mount)
- Amplification: Powered by twin Tru Billet 4100's
- Comments:

System configuration #3 by Technic:
Front: Morel Hybrid Ovation
Rear/sides/center: OEM Individual Audio
Underseat: Kicker SSMB8
Trunk sub: ID10 (VP Electricity corner enclosure)
Amps: PDX-5 and PDX 4.150 (8-channels used out of 9 total)

<<<<<< UPDATE: Video of How to Set Up MS-8 >>>>>>>>

<<<<<< Video of Calibration >>>>>>>>

By popular demand: My Current System Layout:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf MS-8 System Layout.pdf (279.1 KB, 261 views)

Last edited by kaigoss69; 06-06-2013 at 04:17 PM.
kaigoss69 is online now   United_States