07-07-2010, 01:55 PM   #89
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Ok, there is no way I am reading six pages of threads over this battle over approved v. non-approved oil. I just have one question. If the other "non-approved" oil is so good and so expensive why don't they just get the LL01 approval stamp on it. That would end all debates on this topic.
Aside from using a more expensive base oil such as PAO and/or Ester it's all about the additive levels.

In order to protect/prolong the life of emissions systems (think the DPF and SCR system on the BMW diesels for example) the ACEA/API ratings in recent years have set maximium levels of zinc and phosphorus (well known anti-wear additives). In addition in many states the OEM's are on the hook for warranty repairs to the emissions systems which are well outside their factory warranty of 4yrs.

The boutique oils (Redline, RP, AMS) have additives which are in excess of these new limits. Not overly so, but in excess nonetheless. These companies know this so there's no need for them to have their oil tested. The OEM's won't certify these oils because they're beholden to the ACEA/API standards so it's a waste of their time.

If you want to research theses differences then go here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...oard=11&page=1

A good example of an expensive PAO based motor oil is Motul X-Clean C3 and it sells for ~$12/liter. Conversly Motul also sells group III LL04 oil which is simply labeled as "LL04" and sells for ~$7/liter. Motul obtained the 'official' LL04 certification for their Low-SAPS oils from BMW. As you can see, both are LL04 yet both have different base oils and different prices.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0