View Single Post
      09-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
penport
Surgeon General
Rep
Drives: F32 435dx

Quote:
Does BMW claim any BHP increase for the performance exhaust on the 330i?
I seem to remember that it is primarily for a better soundtrack.

I had an Evolve remap of my E92 330i about 5 months ago, and there has been an appreciable change (for the better) in the exhaust note, more or less as you describe, a lot more throaty and a louder and more aggressive tone from 5000 rpm onwards. I also have had the window open a lot recently, especially going through the tunnel on the A27 behind Brighton!

My BHP is now in the region of the low 280's, and has put my car on a par with my daughter's heavier and higher geared E91 335d. 0 - 100 they are are absolutely neck and neck. Using a GPS to correct my speedo (which reads about 105/106 at a genuine 100), I am getting an average of 13.5 seconds. Which is not bad, but still a good way behind a stock 335i.
They quote a 10bhp increase but TBH I haven't felt any noticeable difference - you're right it's the soundtrack that's the main benefit.

Not sure why a remap (which presumably gives only a modest increase in power in a NA car) would improve exhaust note - unless of course you're just exploiting the extra power
Appreciate 0