View Single Post
      09-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I thought this might clear some things up about the old Eisenach factory. Here is what I understand about EMW - BMW connection:

The company in Suhl started out as Fahrzeugfabrik Eisenach (FFE), then BMW bought them out in 1928. From 1928 until 1942 BMW produced cars in Eisenach. BMW also prodcued motorcycles for the Bundeswehr and air plane engines for the Luftwaffe durring the war. The Allies bombed the factory in 1942.

Then after the war the Americans occupied the factory for a bit. Then we turned that part of Germany over the Russians. The Russians then produced the old BMW designed cars from the past like: the BMW 321, 326, 327, ect...

ALL BMW's between 1945 to 1951 were produced in Eisenach by the Comunists. BMW was not producing cars at this time - only motorcycles down in Garmisch and later Muenchen. Since BMW did not procude any cars durring this time - and since they could not go after a county ie Russia... they had to wait until the Russians turned the legal owners of Eisenach back to the East Germans GDR/DDR). That happened in 1953. That was when BMW asked the GDR to change the name and logo of the cars being made in Eisenach. Thats when the name changed to EMW and the red & white logo.

Eisenach later produced cars under the Wartburg and IFA name plates. But after reunification... the factory went out of business. That was in 1991.

Opel opened a car factory across town. That is where alot of these museum cars went. Along with most of the EMW factory workers. To this day Opel produces the Corsa there in Eisenach. Opels cheapest & smallest car. In 2007 this new museum in downtown Suhl opened up and the museum collection was moved into Suhl.

for more info see....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobilwerk_Eisenach

Glad you guys enjoyed my photos. I think I should take some more photos of the Polzei cars. Looks like you all really liked those!

Dackel

Last edited by Dackelone; 09-21-2010 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0