View Single Post
      09-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #20
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States

Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgeek View Post
I don't really understand Audi's spending of funds to have Iron Man drive an R8. That's a $120,000+ vehicle that most people can't even dream of affording. Are grownups going to buy an Audi because Tony Stark drove one? One could argue that it engraved the Audi image in people's minds, I guess. Cool guy in a cool car, but I wonder how much that translated into actual sales. Are people who are wavering between an A4 and 328 really going to be swayed by that product placement, I'd argue no. I think the more expensive German cars would not fit the same pop culture persuasion as the Asian rockets of Fast and the Furious.

One of the best Audi placements I can remember was in Ronin, when the driver asked for something with some kick (forget the actual adjective), and then said "something like an Audi S8." Funny in that same movie, De Niro chases thieves who are driving a 5 Series.

People always forget that BMW cracked the Bond franchise with the roadster and remote controlled 7 series.

1) Theres a few reasons why this is done. Branding is essential for brands like Audi and BMW and placing an Audi R8 in a movie like Iron Man is important.

2) The fact that the Audi R8 exists adds a lot of credibility to the other performance cars Audi creates. Just like the M3 adds credibility to the 3 series line up.

3) How does an R8 fit in a movie like Iron Man? This is a great way for Audi to position itself for its future market. Just like I and many other grew up with Ferrari and Lamborghini posters on our walls, many of this generations kids will grow up with R8s on their walls. And when the time comes for them to choose between a 328 and an A4, they will sway towards an Audi.

Look at Lexus with the LF-A. Sure the LF-A will bring profits to Lexus, but more importantly, it will bring credibility to their F series cars and puts them up as a contender to other supercars.