View Single Post
      09-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
AlanQS
Colonel

Drives: 320d SE Coupe

Garage List
This may be of no interest

... but nevertheless, I'm going to mention it.

When I bought my E92, a serious contender was the 520d SE and one thing I noted was although the 320d SE coupe was dearer than the 520d SE, it did have more equipment (January 2008) like full 2 zone ATC, xenon lights, ambient lighting, Professional radio, sports wheel - and it was prettier, but you did get more sheet metal for your money with the Five.

Tonight, for casual amusement, I specced a 520d SE the way I'd like it and then specced a 320d SE coupe to as close as I could get to the Five series.

The Five was a couple of hundred pounds LESS than the E92 yet (in my spec) it had all the kit the E92 had PLUS, 4 zone climate control, rear heated seats, variable damper control, rear and side cameras, power operated boot - and a whole lot more sheet metal.

I can only conclude that the E92 is unimportant to BMW and an excuse to shag E92 buyers in particular which leads me to bemoan the fact that I had to like best, the model range that BMW charges most for.

Seems an odd thing to complain about I suppose, but when my car crashes and bangs over the most innocuous disparities in road levels, it just makes me think "and it's the worst value for money."