Weaselboy
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyjetzzz View Post
Weaselboy, good post with valid points.
My apologies in advance if I sound confrontational; 30+ years in the military has led to me sounding like I'm poking my index finger in others chests when I post on the internet. My goal is for robust debate, not disemboweling those with different points of view.

I have issues with two points:
1) AGM is far better quality than lead acid batteries. My AGM battery needed to be replaced after 36 1/2 months of service life. In terms of lifespan, that's not better than lead acid batteries.
2) Why use AGM batteries if they do not offer longer lifespan than traditional lead acid batteries? Because BMW puts them in the trunk of the car. Is there not enough room on a full sized sedan to put them in the engine compartment? And I don't buy the weight and balance issue; other companies have solved that issue on full sized sedans.
NP... I'm not seeing this as confrontational at all.

1. Your experience is the opposite of mine. AGM have been lasting longer for me. AGM for the same physical size normally have higher CCA capacity.

2. As I mentioned... I think they are better. I'm not so sure AGM has much to do with the trunk mount though. Before AGM BMW was trunk mounting with a simple vent tube. AGM does simplify the trunk mount since no vent is required.