View Single Post
      11-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #85
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsublime View Post
Dealer quoted me 1.7 hours to register. If it really does take a couple seconds this seems like outright fraud. It's one thing if the book says 1 hour and an experienced tech can perform the procedure in 30 min, but nearly 2 hours for something that takes less than 5 min, I don't know about that.
I'll try to explain for you. You are at a dealer that has both labor and overhead costs he must cover when your car comes in for service. Your car will be "touched" by the Service Advisor, the car jockey who moves the car in and out of service, the technician who will do the scan of the car with the GT1 and perform the battery registration. The Car jockey will then bring the car out of service to the wash bay and wash the car. The SA will finalize the paperwork with you and say "thanks". The Cashier will then check you out of the payment system. The car Jockey will then go get your car for you. The dealer's accounting staff will reconcile the invoice at the end of the month.

The dealer has fixed capital costs (buildings, lifts, air compressors, HVAC systems, computer systems, etc.) and operating expenses such as taxes, insurance, electricity, parts inventory, snow removal, building maintenance, grounds keeping, etc.; all of which have to be covered for the Tech to do the "5-minute" registration procedure. This is how business works, and why the dealer charges for almost two hours to perform the procedure. Get it?