03-24-2011, 08:58 PM   #11
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
It is about the size. The rear seat space is extremely limited when compared to an S-class or 7 series. Now you want to shrink it down slightly and have it compete against the E-class or 5 series? There would be no significant difference between the two cars and physically there would be limited trunk and rear seat capacity...something that is important in the mid-size segment.

People do car about size especially when it comes to full size sedans. I recall that your parents were more cross-shopping the full size sedans, not the mid-size ones. Ask them if they still would have bought the Panamera if it had less rear seat room and even less trunk space. Doubt it.
This. Class segments are influenced by price, but more importantly by size and interior volume. I'll explain down below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
I guess what I'm saying is...for those who want a lot of rear space, have you been in the current 5 series? THe new one? It doesn't have that much more rear space than my e90...I know because we considered it, it was not more comfortable than my e90 at the back...maybe 1 or 2 inches more space.

And the back seats are flat in the 5...like a washboard...in the Panamera, you get amazing rear seats, the only car that compared (barely) was the S550...even it didn't have full bucket seats that were supportive unless you got the extended luxury seat package or whatever its called.

Anyways...I'm happy with my 335xi -- just wouldn't get an xi if I did it all over again, would get an i -- AWD spoils the fun with a 6MT.

But yea to sum up on topic...you're right size matters, but for those folks the 5 series isn't that spacious at the back, and they're likely to get an SUV or the E-class which actually does have some space back there.
The 5 series has about the same rear seating space as the E-Class and A6, but the Panamera is about a half foot longer than the F10, which would make the rear obviously larger. You can't compare the rear seats between the two anyways; the Panamera only offers two buckets, which explains why they're more nicely appointed as well. The F10 has a traditional 40/20/40 bench layout, making sculpted buckets impossible for the sake of practicality.

Feel free to ignore this post.
Appreciate 0