06-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #95
sbce90
Me Boosta
Australia
Rep

Drives: 320i / MB C63 / VW up!

SMH -

Name discrimination

Roshan Kumaraganage, 19, contacted Radar to complain that he would never get a free juice while his mates with names such as Paul and David could.

Kumaraganage's Liverpool juice bar selects a name each day and offers a free product to anyone with that name who is having a birthday. The names selected, however, tend to be those of Christ's 12 disciples, and never Sinhalese kings or Buddhist monks.

Anyone with an unusual name will know Roshan's pain. Try buying personalised stationery if your name is Fatima, Anosha or Radar. We tried and found that every page of the magnificent Dazzle Bear Notepad, for instance, features the phrase: "A special note from Susan." Or Ashleigh, Amelia, Chloe, Emily, etc.

It might not make good economic sense to stock personalised products with rare names on them, but is it discrimination? Emily, for example, was the most popular female baby name registered in NSW last year but Susan wasn't even in the top 100.

If you feel you've been discriminated against because of your name, you can make a complaint to the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission (1300 656 419). A spokesman says a possible case for name discrimination could be made under the Racial Discrimination Act but factors such as commercial considerations would also be taken into account. "I can't give a definitive yes or no for any of your questions," he says. - Andrew Taylor

**sigh** I was wondering why I never get a free Boost.