06-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #66

Drives: '06 325i Auto

1st, thanks OP, awesome DIY!

Originally Posted by Jammin Jason View Post
can i do this diy with a 325i also?
Yes. See my experience below

Originally Posted by WallyF View Post

What did you set the spark plug gap to?

Per manufacturer's web page, I found NGK ILZFR6D11 plugs are set for 0.044" and Bosch FR7NP332 are set for 0.040".

Also, both NGK and Bosch are HEX(6 sided) plugs. Why do you need a 12 point 5/8 socket?

+1 Bosch FR7NP332 are set for 0.040
Originally Posted by Jesse Wilson View Post
I just used this guide and it worked very well. Feel free to put the screwdriver through the top of the coil and use it as a bar if you need some help pulling it out. Oh and watch all the little clips under the cowling because they break easy. Nothing a little superglue won't fix though.

+1, see pics below

Originally Posted by bmw6953 View Post
Its the exact same process for the 325i. I belive its even the same spark plug. I used a standard 5/8 socket and it worked just fine for me, no need for a 12 point socket, or spcial bmw socket. Just make sure the plug is gapped correctly and use a torque wrench.
+1, except I didn't use a torque wrench. Also OEM for the 325i is Bosch FR7NP332 and the gap is 0.040.

Originally Posted by e90pilot View Post
Plugs come pre-gapped from the factory.
Don't rely on that. My plugs were supposedly pre-gapped because they are oem, but I checked the gap and they were all over the place. This might be a reason why some members are having problems when they start 'er up.

Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
Hello, I know this is my first post and all, however I am hardly new to the BMW scene.

I am questioning the use of anti seize on the plug threads,
I have used it before, and I understand the possible chance of a plug seizing in the head.. but?

one, was there antiseize on the plugs you pulled out from the factory ? yes or no ?
Yes, when I removed the oem plugs they had anti-seize on them. It didn't smell like oil and it was little slippery and clear.

Just did this today. As Jesse Wilson stated, use a screwdriver to flip up the coil and then place the screwdriver in the hole of the coil to use as leverage (see pics below).

Also, I wasn't comfortable removing plugs 5 and 6 with the strut brace there, so I moved it out of the way by removing the nut using a 7/16 socket. (see the first pic). Just unloosen the nut and push it up and over the red battery connection.

Again, OP, thank you!
Attached Images
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 06-18-2011 at 05:17 PM.