View Single Post
      06-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #34
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

Some people like the bass to blend with the rest of the speakers. In that case 300W on the sub and with the L7 speakers on MS-8 power is enough. Other people like for the bass to overwhelm the other speakers. In that case 600W is fine. But then again, double the power is "only" 3dB more...

My personal experience is this: With the MS-8 driving all interior speakers, I never felt the need to crank it all the way. And it sounded good, even at ear-piercing volume. A single 12" in a sealed Best Buy enclosure and 300W was underwhelming. A single 10" woofer in a corner-loaded enclosure with 300W is just right for me. The latter gives you a good back massage, with almost zero rattles inside and outside the car. A box with 2 12" woofers and 1000W firing towards the back of the trunk is the loudest, but the rattles, inside and outside the car, are horrendous. It seems that the corner-loaded application is able to "focus" its energy on the inside of the cabin, and not inside the trunk, whereas all other solutions will release most of the energy inside the trunk, and then some of it will trickle through inside the cabin.

But for me there is no "formula" or "rule" regarding how many watts should be dedicated to the cabin speakers, and how many to the trunk sub. It all boils down to the required volume level at the listening position, and the required energy from the sub.