08-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
That's what is really sad is that people think you have to be rich and have everything to have a good childhood/life.

We weren't "poor" growing up but definitely at the lower end of middle class as it was a single income home.
I would say I had a great childhood though because of rather than in spite of not having everything. And I say that because I have much more appreciation for what we did have and how much my parents care for me.
I had a blast playing with my brother outside. We'd climb trees, make forts, crash our bicycles, play ninja turtles vs GI Joe, the list goes on.
I didn't get any gaming system until I was 12 and that was a gameboy I was only allowed to play on a limited basis. Didn't get anything else until I was 15 and we got a super nintendo. We lived in the woods so we got 3 channels, sort of. We had fun on Friday or Saturday night and rented a movie and watched as a family.

That's why it's sad now that a lot of kids get their rolemodels from some terd on MTV with everything. What happened to parents being the rolemodel?(and I don't mean just cause they make lots of money)
Same here, except I must be older than you. The first video game of any kind I ever saw was during my first tour in Korea when I was 18. It was the PacMan game, except it was black and white and you flew an airplane around the maze while missiles chased you.

I grew up in a neighborhood with so many kids my age that they called the neighborhood Fertile Acres. We could field two teams for most sports, and we played all the time. Baseball, football, and street hockey. And when we got bored, we played war in the woods with wrist rockets and BB guns. We were rarely indoors because that's where your mom was and none of us wanted to be supervised. But we were all blue collar working class families with single incomes. None of us had money.

It was a great childhood. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0