05-31-2016, 01:56 PM   #7
tetsuo111
Save the Manuals!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E91 RWD 6MT, X3, Ducati S4R

Garage List
DigiDon

Any updates and user feedback on your project post-install? Especially installing new MT SW and integration with the DME?

Weight Loss - In addition to the enjoyment from driving a stick, there ought to be significant weight loss benefits here. The N54 MT is 75# less than the N52 AT, per RealOEM. If one completely ignores the visceral gains of moving from AT to MT, and looks solely at weight, the cost per pound lost is actually equal to or less expensive than typical aftermarket lightweight parts.

I hadn't seriously considered a trans swap due to the economics - until now. The combination of performance gained together with losing a big chunk of mass, especially towards the front, is compelling. From one perspective, this would be like buying 75 lbs of lightweight parts, and getting a N54 MT thrown in the deal as a perk!

I love light and agile. I know - it would be better to have a Miata or Porsche instead. But a 3300# sportwagon with 300+ hp, 6MT, and stock appearance is very very compelling.
Outside: BMW M-Aero, Euro region lighting, Seibon | Inside: M3 cockpit, Recaro SPG, Prototipo, AutoSolutions SSK, UCP | Stop: M3 ST-40R, PFC | Grip: Solid-mounted subframes, rear coilover conversion, M3 Nitron R3, Hyperco, SPL, AKG, ARC8 | Go: StageFP, CF snorkel, 3IM, MILVs, SuperSprint headers, Dundon Motorsports Inconel exhaust, VoltPhreaks | Cool: CSF | PCA #2018100384 | BMW CCA #505794
Appreciate 0