Thread: OIL TYPE
View Single Post
      09-06-2006, 09:23 AM   #11
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

ah ha! found it 5w-40 or 5w-30 like you said. Going to pickup some at BJ's. Too bad they sell them in cases of 6 for $31 rather than 7 or 8. Now I may have to buy two cases or a single bottle from somewhere else.

Well, I only want to do the oil change after the first 2k. Then I may leave BMW to do their scheduled oil change. Other than the oil filter, what else do I need? Must I get the filter from my dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asiann
You can use 5W-40 or 5W-30 depending on where you live. Page 121 in the manual. It also mentions to use only oils with API SH specifications or higher. The BMW website mentions "With this state-of-the-art technology, the maintenance interval may be lengthened for a vehicle that’s driven less frequently. This can result in savings for owners. Minimal use drivers (less than 6,000 miles per year) should change the oil at least every two years." You take it for what its worth but I'm not following the service indicator. I plan on changing it about every 6k miles or every 6 months whichever comes first and then let them change it when the indicator says so.
Appreciate 0