06-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #33
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
The window controls are a shade too far forwards, presumably to cater for those with knee problems
True - I think they modelled this on someone with extraordinary long arms (Mr Tickle) you will sort of get used to it, but every so often you'll still wind down the back windows by mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
The cruise control stalk though is I think the biggest retrograde. The old system of the buttons on the steering wheel allows you to cruise with a thumb on the disconnect button, without having to grope for the correct stalk to disconnect. I guess you get used to it (or use the brakes), but I'd rather have the stereo controls on the stalk than the cruise. The mark on the outside of the speedo is nice as is the info flashed up in the centre of the dash as you set a speed.
Trust me - you will get used to the new system and realise that it is MASSIVELY better than the one in the e46. I disliked it initially, but now I think it's spot on. To be honest I would say the same about several other features (idrive and triple turn indicators for instance).

It allows you to change gear without switching it off and it also allows you to increase or decrease the speed in 5 mph chunks with a hard press. It's much more flexible - it's just not where you expect it to be.
Appreciate 0