United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2007 335xi  [0.00]
1974 VW Beetle  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA View Post
Thanks again for the equipment advice. I'll be looking into 17" rims and sticky tires, as well as FMIC's. I am going to start a new thread in the general section about first time track experiences and wisdom gained.

Regards,
John
John, honestly I'd say not to waste money on square tires, FMIC, or anything right now. If you have the stock O/C you should be fine your first time at the track. It took me until about the 8th time to really start pushing the stock O/C, which is when I moved to Vince's upgrade. Granted at that point I was on a set up suspension and RE01Rs with 100-200 lbs removed and really booking it in HPDE 3...and the xi heats up like a hot plate.

The FMIC shouldn't be pushed as long as you are running stock boost. Or at least, it shouldn't be a NECESSARY item. I think you should see how you do at track, and then if on your next track day you start turning boost up, see what you will need out of an FMIC. Don't just buy one blindly.

With regards to wheels/tires... I'd say a good majority of guys in the tracking forum have at some point in their life owned Kosei K1s, so if you MUST get wheels, go with those as you really can't go wrong. In terms of tires, here's why I say to wait... It depends what you want, and requires a huge deal of research. Again the Bridgestone RE01R and Dunlop Direzza Z1 SS are two biggies but there is a lot to be learned from the stock RFT.

Most important of all, forget about the people around you, just have fun! If you're not having fun at track, you should leave and not bother again. Focus on smooth inputs. And if you want to spend money, spend money on the safety items mentioned, a solid SA05 helmet, CGLock, etc. Good luck and be safe!
Appreciate 0