View Single Post
      02-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
vomheimlin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i SEDAN AUTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevendous03 View Post
Yes... Otherwise, you could potentially have low beam failure, or the footwell module could burn out, which could cost a couple grand to replace.
But wouldn't it seem likely these same set of problems could occur in this scenario (low beam HID projectors/halogen high beams) if someone coded for Xenons, and later used the high beams? (since halogens require more power to run than xenons)

I would think that changing the VO from halogens to xenons means that the computer is adjusting the voltage to the lights... in this case lowering it since xenons require less power, right? If so, starving the halogens of the necessary power to properly run them would cause stress somewhere in the electrical system which would potentially result in a failure. I only know this, because in my youth me and my friends would use Variacs to starve the voltage on our guitar amplifiers (like Eddie Van Halen), which sometimes popped our transformers lol.

So, I think the only safe way to do a retrofit is to either go all halogens or a bi-xenon setup. Any thoughts?

Last edited by vomheimlin; 02-03-2012 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0