01-31-2008, 01:09 PM   #74
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
You know, I guess all those turbo diesels out there that have really huge intercoolers, about one to two inches think, but with a HUGE frontal face got it wrong.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that the COMPLETELY COVER THE RADIATOR, I'm not kidding, completely and totally 100% cover up the front of the radiator.

GET A CLUE.
Dumb answer again.

You want the turbo diesel engine oil/water temps to be warmer so you get a cleaner, more complete combustion. This can actually bring exhaust gas temperatures DOWN. Diesel ignites from heat of compression. The idea is to compress the air charge to build enough heat to light the fuel, but if it's fighting against a low engine heat, the fuel will ignite, but not as complete as if the cylinders were just a bit warmer. The more complete the combustion, the cooler the exhaust temperatures.

This is why they sell thermostats for diesel cars to open up at hotter temps and not at cooler temps like gasoline cars.

Do you have a 335D? Is that why you brought up the FMIC blocking the radiator to ramp up water temps in the diesel cause then for once today you would make some sense. If not then you're not making any sense, our gasoline burning 335i's need the water temps to stay cooler not hotter, anything in front of the radiator will bring temps up.
Appreciate 0