04-14-2013, 06:01 AM   #30
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
But aren't we talking mess in the cylinder head which is primarily caused by moisture and fuel mixing in with oil and gelling due to cold short journeys. The mileage suggests the car is run at optimum temperatures for long periods of time which would burn off moisture and fuel so it wouldn't leave as many deposits.

I have no doubt there would be sludge in there but perhaps not as much as a 180k 10+ age car. Providing it has had regular maintenance which would be mileage not months in this case the synthetic oil they use should help prevent excess sludging.
With respect mate, I don't think you understand the issues with the Direct Injection and the N54 in particular.

(Audi and other marques are suffering similar issues too btw on their DI petrols).

The carbon build-up is not a function of cold running, and we are not talking about some sludge here.

It is a design issue, pure and simple.

I was horrified at the state that my 75k N54 engine was inside, particularly the intake tracts and valves.
Hard and deep deposits around the inlet stems looked to be about 3mm thick or more.

And most are like it by this mileage.

You need to get the inlet apart to be able to see it, but believe me it has a serious impact on engine smoothness and efficiency.

Search on these forums - there are some good photos.
Try under Walnut Shell blasting....