View Single Post
      03-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
marcesq
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 35d

Fix a torn/ripped Wind Deflector (mesh fabric)

Easy DIY - it's been holding up for a week, and I expect it to hold up well in the long-term.

The mesh (I presume polyester or nylon) fabric on the BMW e93 wind deflector (i.e., BMW part number 54347269437) is easily torn or ripped.

I found a product that seems up to the job to fix at least smaller rips. My rip was about 1 inch by 1/4 inch, and close to the edge of the wind deflector.

The product is Gear Aid Tenacious Tape (black). It is available through Amazon - get black!

I simply followed the instructions on the package, severely over-estimated the size of the tear, and applied the tape as shown in the attached picture. If it holds up in the long term, then I won't touch it.

If it starts to peel away, then I'll reapply with tape on both sides of the wind deflector fabric. If this happens, I will also cut the tape to a more appropriate size (I left it at it's natural width in the picture - too large for my rip).

The color/fabric blends in quite well, and the tape is advertised as working well with mosquito netting and camping gear, so here's hoping it holds up!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0