View Single Post
      01-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #209
DSXMachina
If I don't get reincarnated I'm screwed.
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92, 6MT, TiAg, Walnut, Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
The primary And general use for an EGT sensor is to measure cylinder temps...not sure where you got the notion of monitoring turbo temps, ive ever heard of people concerned about turbo temps. Cylinder temps are much more necessary to monitor When tuning or even just driving hard. If you have the equipment to put more EGT sensors on, I'd probably put another in the front manifold first, then one in the downpipe...but you really aren't going to care about post-turbo temps
Hi Brian. There is a simple and fairly effective way to infer cylinder temperatures though it takes a little work. There are color changing paints which can be applied to the underneath surfaces of the pistons. When specific temperatures are reached the paint makes an obvious color change.

This can be used, for instance, to get an idea of whether fuel mix or timing changes are likely to cause piston damage. It would require that the oil pan be dropped after a run and the pistons be examined with a borescope, but that is not a big deal and it gives irrefutable evidence of what kind of heat is being generated and transferred. Those figures would indicae what is going on a few centimeters above the paint (inside the combustion chamber).
Appreciate 0