Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
actually, the carrier does matter.

On a simple level of explanation for how car insurance is rated:

- location where vehicle is parked
- driver age (aka "years of driving experience" - a 21yr old who just got their license will most likely be rated same as a 16yr old who just got their license, despite being 5yrs older than the teenager)
- mileage driven annually
- driving record history
- number of vehicles on policy (mainly for multi-vehicle discount)
- other associated policies (mainly for multi-policy discount)
- policy coverage limits (if these have changed by you)
- vehicle symbol/code (why this matters - a used $10k 7-series will still cost more than a used $10k civic to insure)
- the insurance carrier (most insurance carriers have their own rating system based on their data. that's why a Mercury policy will almost never be the exact same cost as a Progressive policy even if all the information is identical)

any one of these factors can make the rate go up or down... sometimes by a few cents and sometimes by several dollars. Based on your post, you already say that the new vehicle discount was removed and there was a change in medical coverage/rating. These two alone are enough to make your premium go up. The "testing" they talk about probably affected whatever vehicle code they use for the e9x 335, making the premium go up again (or down, but not enough to offset the increase from the previous two factors).

make sense?
It does. I definitely appreciate the time you took out to explain all the factors.

Also the area doesn't help out as much since I was affected by sandy. There was no mention of this when speaking to them and there explanation on my policy but I do have a feeling its more behind the scenes.
Appreciate 0