View Single Post
      10-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman168 View Post
I have a 2006 e90 with basic stereo (no tweeters, only 4" full range in front & rear + mid woofer underseats). I have read somewhere that the front door fullrange passes through a passive crossover somewhere. Where are these passive crossovers located? I plan on using an external amp (with after market speakers) but I am deciding if I would use the default wirings for the speakers or re-wire a new one? I initially want to use orig speaker wires layout specially in front so the wires wont show up at the sides of the doors as opposed to laying new wires for them but the problem here is if default wires pass through a passive xo then this would affect quality as I will be using separates which has their own xo's and an MS-8 which has active xo.

So is it really true that basic stereos have passive xo's for the fronts? And where are they located so maybe I could bypass them.

Anyone?

Thank you for the support guys!
There are no crossovers in the Stereo (6-speaker) system.

If non-iDrive then the mid in the door has a capacitor in its frame, which in turn is connected in parallel with the underseat woofer. The capacitor is to keep the total impedance of the front outputs of the OEM HU at 4ohms. The OEM HU outputs are not stable at 2ohms.

If iDrive then there is no capacitor in the mid. The iDrive unit outputs are stable at 2ohms.

Please search for more details. This has been discussed several times before.
Appreciate 0