06-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
accel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 328i MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzS4e92
I know this topic has been covered a billion times and I've spent the last week or so poring over the threads and have pretty much made up my mind to delete the clutch delay valve...

Some history I'm 29 and have had an MT vehicle since I was 18; an integra GS-R coupe and 2 audi b5 S4s. To anyone familiar, both of these gearboxes were very slick and shifted like butter. The 01E is incredible but I digress... long pedal travel and clutch engagement point aside, this tranny in the e92, as a whole package is a completely different animal to me and had me doubting my decision to dive into bimmer and my stick driving ability as a whole for a little while after I bought the car.

It's been about 11 months since I've had it and I've pretty much fully adapted to the clutch modulation in terms of around town driving, parallel parking etc with the delay. The only frontier I've yet to conquer is the 1-2 shift at WOT (full load), as I feel as though even if you execute the shift in identical fashion as a smooth shift you can get the lurch... Many have described their findings with the CDV delete that you'll notice the difference more in the lower gears at lower revs i.e. around town, parking lots etc but I was hoping it would aid in aggressive driving as well. I've tried getting on the gas more quickly once I understood the mechanics involved and experienced mixed results.

Basically I dredged up this topic because there hasn't been any recent chatter about it and was wondering about people's experiences, any $.02 would be appreciated. I don't make it a practice to flog my car much less drag it or anything as I plan on owning it for some years, but I do enjoy wringing it out every once in a while
I've owned Honda Prelude MT before, and that car's transmission is not easy to beat.... I eliminated CDV within the first month of ownership... So the clutch has become pretty good after that. But i doubt it made any 1->2 shift difference.

So far i heard only MT oil change really helps. I didn't try that yet though.
Appreciate 0